Department of Languages and Literature
Introduction & Objectives/ State of Research
The Department of Languages and Literature is the fusion of English and National and International Language departments in the early 90’s. Three disciplines comprise the English program: Speech and Dramatics, Language and Literature. The Filipino Section is the fourth added discipline.
Under Speech are the basic courses such as “Articulatory” Phonetics, Public Speaking and Argumentation and Debate.
Under Language, the service courses are expectedly Communication Arts 1 & 2 Business Correspondence, Technical Writing, and the Research Paper, Grammar and Composition, and Foreign Languages (French, German, Chinese, Spanish and Nihongo). Seven (7) Applied Linguistics course are offered for the majors:
For Literature, Literatures of the World, Literatures of the Philippines, Survey of Arts are required as mandated by CHED. An equal number of Literature major subjects complement the Applied Linguistics courses to make for a balanced curriculum.
The following objectives are taken from the DOLL’s Five-Year Plan.
- To enhance teachers’ capacity in conducting research
- To promote classroom-based and course-based researches
- To develop instructional materials
- To publish research-based texts and articles
- To deepen the knowledge of the faculty in Applied Linguistics
State of Research
Research endeavours in the department have been primarily linked with classroom instruction and graduate studies. Textbooks in basic English and Filipino subjects: Communication Arts I & II, Aural-Oral Communication, Advanced Research and Composition, Sining ng Pakikipagtalastasan, Pagbasa at Pagsulat sa Iba’t Ibang ibang Larangan and Retorika, suited to the needs of the USC clientele have been developed. These materials, largely for classroom use, are products of the teacher’s classroom observations and experiences backed up by the theories of experts in the field. Textbooks are not the only products of classroom-based researches. Data on subjects like Bilingualism, Sociolinguistics, Pragmatics, both in the undergraduate & graduate levels, moreover, have been collected. The data await analysis and interpretation and eventually publication.
Teachers, in their pursuit of graduate and post-graduate studies, have generated theses and dissertations. These studies have contributed to the bulk of research endeavours in the department.
Since the late 70’s, the Cebuano Studies Center (CSC) has involved the faculty of the department in several CSC research projects. A number of these projects, such as Lessons on Conversational Cebuano, Anthology of the Best Poems and Stories in the Annual Cornelio Faigao, and the Annotated Bibliography of post-war Cebuano Painting, Sculpture, are still on-going. Future researches conducted by DOLL faculty and founded by CSC are further planned.
With the creation of the Social Science Research Center (SSRC), research collaboration is developed through the participation of the faculty from different departments, including DOLL. Moreover, research de-loading for curriculum development is continuously availed of by the faculty. This opportunity will result in enhanced programs that cater to the needs not only of the students from DOLL but also of those from other departments.
- Phonological and Syntatic Features in Caregiver Speech. Maxilom, Rowanne Marie & Delfin, Cristie Ann
- Primary Functional Orientation of Text Messages Between Husbands & Wives in Cebu: Wordplay in Cebuano and English Languages. Malimas, Mary Ann.
- Collocation & Speech Acts in Advertisements. Ariosa, Mary Catherine.
- The Oral Interlanguages in the L2 (English & Filipino) of Education Communication Arts Majors. Magno, Joseleanor.
- Integrating Indigenous Concepts in the Curriculum (Social Sciences & Humanities). Yu, Hope.
- DOLL and IT Curricula: An Assessment. Tecson, Charity
- English Language Curriculum in Doll: Proposed Revisions . Tecson, Charity
- News Leads of American Chinese and Philippine News Briefs. Maxilom, Rowanne Marie
- News Leads of American, Chinese and Philippine News Briefs. Maxilom, Rowanne Marie
- Ang Paglilipat ng Kulturang Cebuano sa Pagsasalin ng Limang Maikling Kwentong may Gawad Palanca: Pagbibihis ng Wikang Pambansa. Plasencia, Norly
- Course Development: English 2 for Commerce
- Course Development: English 2 for Nursing
- Who is without sin?: The Querida in Cebuano Women’s Short Fiction. Yu, Hope
- Metalinguistic Awareness of Cebuano-English-Filipino Adolescent Multilingual. Maxilom, Rowanne Marie and Charity Tecson
- Course Development: English 1 for Commerce
- Course Development: English 1 for Nursing
AY 2007 – 2008
- Interactive Activities of Communications Arts I in Selected Schools in Butuan City: A Portfolio of Enriched Interactive Activities
- Isang Komprehensibong Pag-aaral ng Sanaysay, Debate at Talumpati. Emphasis, Anecita
- Pagsusuri sa Magkakawing na Tula ng Tatlong Babaeng Makata: Feminismo: Joi Barrios, Benilda Santos and Rebecca Añonuevo. Geronimo, Luzviminda
- Pagsusuri sa Magkakawing na Tula ng Tatlong Babaeng Makata: Feminismo: Joi Barrios, Benilda Santos and Rebecca Añonuevo. Luche, Lourdes
- Who is without sin?: The Mistress in Cebuano Literature. Yu, Hope
Theses and dissertations produced by the past and present faculty members of the departments.
AY 2005 - 2009
- Cebuano Food Festivals: A Matter of Taste.
by: Hope S. Yu
- History and the Prewar Cebuano Novel.
by: Erlinda K. Alburo
- The Woman of Virtue in Lina Espina Moore’s Novels.
by: Hope S. Yu
- The Language Proficiency of Electronics and Communications Engineering Freshmen Students: Communication Dynamics Using Authentic Materials.
by: Charity A. Tecson
- Ang Paggamit ng Multimedia Bilang Lunsaran sa Inobatibong Pagtuturo ng Filipino.
by: Norly R. Plasencia
- Kaalamang-bayan: Mahalagang Sangkap ng Literaturang Cebuano.
by: Norly R. Plasencia
- Father-Child Interaction at Social Play.
by: Rowanne Marie R. Maxilom
- Simulan ng Pagsasaling-Wikang Cebuano sa Filipino.
by: Anecita M. Emphasis
- Isang Pagsubok na Salin sa Mga Piling Tulang Cebuano ni Dindin Villarino: Isang Paglalahad sa Aking Naging Karanasan sa Pagsasalin.
by: Norly R. Plasencia
- Ang Papel ng Wika at ang Mabisang Pagpapahayag.
by: Anecita M. Emphasis
- A Dictionary of Cebuano Arts. Cebuano Studies Center.
by: Erlinda K. Alburo
- ”English for Academic Purpose of Engineering Students: Modules on Study and Linguistics Skills” (October 1999)
- “Communication Skills needs of Hotel and Restaurant Management Students of the University of San Carlos: Bases for Materials Selection and Development” (March 1998)
Reading Program (Proposal and Assessment)
- “Whole Language in the Freshmen Reading and Language Arts Program of the University of San Carlos Teachers College”
- Reading Skills Acquired by the Entering First Year Students of USC-SY 1965: Proposed Reading Program
- “Reading and Study Skills of Computer Engineering, Freshmen of the University of Cebu: Proposed Remediation Schemes” (March 15, 1993)
- “Achieving Communicative Competence: Story-Telling Models”
- “Modern Approaches in Teaching of Shakespearean Tragedies in the Collegiate Level”
- The Language Proficiency of Electronics and Communications Engineering Students: Communication Dynamics Using Authentic Materials (2000).
- Multi-Media Resources for Language Enhancement and Critical Thinking Skills Development: Guidelines for Effective Use.
- Matching Eclectic Techniques and Resources with Grammatical Structures for English 1, Replication Education
- Course Development: English 1 & 2 Course Designs for Architecture Students.
- Course Development: Revision of English 1N for Education & HRM Students: Content, Skills & Materials Selection & Development.
- Review and Revision of IT 33 (Presentation Skills in Information Technology)
- The Questioning Skills of the Pre-Service Teachers in English: Proposed INSET Package (April 2006)
A Critical Evaluation of the Textbooks Used in College Freshman English in Cebu City Schools, from the Viewpoint of Second Language Teaching.
“The Core Thinking Skills of the Humanities 1 Students in the University of San Carlos Enhancement Strategies” (February 2002)
- Metarepresentationality of History in Narrative Fiction: A Cognitive Approach in the Study of Literary Characters of F. Sionil Jose’s Viajero and Ninotchka Rosca’s State of War (2009).
- Rhetorical Devices and Imagery on Victor Hugo’s “Notre Dame De Paris” and Jose Rizal’s “Noli Me Tangere” A Phenomenology of Confluence (2008)
- Who is Without Sin: The Querida in Cebuano Short Fiction by Women (October 2008)
- A Feminist Approach to the Study of the Prize-winning Three-Act Plays of Elsa Martinez-Coscolluela by: Reoper P. Cegale (2007)
- Joyce’s Vision of Time in Ulysses. A Juxtaposition of James Joyce’s Ulysses and Paul Ricoeur’s Time and Narrative
- “Bridging Culture: The Philippine female Migrant in the Works of Jessica Hagedorn, Sophia Romeo and Fatima Lim Wilson”
- The Elements of Joy and Melancholy in the Cebuano Vernacular Literature
- “Analysis of Linda Casper’s Peninsulares of Teaching in College” (1972)
- A Sociological Study of the Pre-war Cebuano Novel (1987)
- Wonder in Selected Filipino Children’s Literature (1978)
- The Teaching of Children’s Literature in Teacher’s Colleges in Cebu City: Proposed Instructional Module (1989).
- A Formalistic Study of the Fiction of Nick Joaquin
- A Descriptive Analysis of Vicente Rama’s Fiction
- Towards Gyno-criticism: A Study on the Selected Fiction of Four Cebuano Women Writers.
- The Philippine Short Story in English: A Linguistic Account.
- The Philippine Short Story in English/Philippine English and the Short Story Genre
- Danajon Double Reef Poetry and the Turn of the Third Millenium Rural Island.
- The Phonetic Proficiency of the Second Year Bachelor of Science in Maritime Transportation (BSMT) Students of the University of Cebu – Maritime and Education Training Center: As Basis for a Text-Workbook (March 2006)
- “The Relationship between Listening Discrimination Skill and Content Competence as Reflected in the Shorthand and Transcription Exercises of Secretarial Students of the University of San Carlos, Cebu City” (March 1992).
- “A Mobile Theatre on Environment Concern: A Proposal COP of CAS, USJ-R”
- “Planning 5-year Cultural Development Program of ASMS – La Salle”
- “A Descriptive Analysis of the Intensive English program of DLSU-D.I. S.Y. 1997-1998”.
- “The Attitudes and Behavior Towards the Use of Popular Songs in Teaching Speech 4 at the University of San Carlos” (March 20, 1992)
- Ang Tambalaslas Bilang Dalumat sa Pagbasa/g sa Mga Nakakahong Larawan ng Babae sa Anim na Nobelang Filipino may Gawad Palanca (2008).
- Mga Gawi sa Pamamahala ng Klase at Kasarian ng mga Mag-aaral sa Dalawang Lokal na Pandalubhasaan sa Ika-anim na Distrito ng Cebu (2008)
- “Pagsusuri sa 25 Tilamsik ng Diwa sa Francisco “Soc” Rodrigo”.
- “Isang Pagsusuring Kritikal sa Nobelang Dekada 70 ni Luwalhati Bautista”.
- Mga Piling Kwentongbayang Cebuano: Pagsalin at Pagsusuri.
- Mga Piling Akda ni Edgardo M. Reyes: Paghubog sa Kamalayang Sosyolohikal ng Bansa.
- Gawaing Pagkatuto ng mga Estudyante sa Unang Taon sa Asignaturang Sining ng Pakikipagtalastasan sa Kolehiyo: Isang Pantulong ng Programa sa Pagkatuto sa Filipino (October 2002)
- Pagsusuri ng mga Piling Sanaysay (Roderick C. Villaflor, August 2003).
- Terminolohiyang Gamit sa Panimulang Operasyon ng Kompyuter: Isang Pagsasalin (2003).
- Ang Portfolio Bilang Kasangkapan sa Paglinang ng Kasanayang Pagbasa Nang May Pagunawa sa Filipino 1 (2004)
- Isang Pagsusuri ng mga Editoryal sa Apat na Tabloid: Instructional Guide sa Editorial Writing
- Ang Katangiang Supra-Segmental sa Wikang Cebuano-Visaya: Pakakaiba at Pagkakatulad sa Wikang Filipino
- Preferensyang Ispeling sa Filipino ng mga Estudyanteng BS Nursing sa Siyudad ng Iligan
- Metalinguistic Awareness of Adolescent Multilinguistic in Cebu City (March 2009)
- The Effect of Affective Activities on the Learning of English Grammar
- Teen Talk Linguistic Styles in Electronic Mails (March 2008).
- Cebuano-English Codeswitching, Text Jargon and Fricative Production in Short Messaging Services (SMS) by: Arnold L. Tiempo (2006).
- Gender and Politeness in Narrative Writing (May 2005)
- Isolated Linguistic Mantra Using Verbal Narratives (June 2005)
- Child Talk in English of Selected Bilinguals Aged 1 Year Old – 2 Years Old in Cebu City (September 2003)
- Interactive Activities of Communications Arts I in Selected Schools in Butuan City: A Portfolio of Enriched Interactive Activities (2008).
- A Constructive Study of the Phonological systems of English and Cebuano Bisayan and How the Differences Affect the Teaching of English as a Second Language to Cebuano Bisayan Learners.
- Nick Joaquin and William Faulkner: A Linguistic Approach to Styles.
- Teaching Transformational Grammar to a Select Group of High School Freshmen at Mandaue Academy
- Difficulties of Thai Students in Learning the English Passive Construction with Concentration of Interference Errors: Implications to the Equivalence of Thai Topicalization to the English Passive.
- An Evaluative Study of Semantic and Sculptural Errors in the Written English of USC Freshman College Students with a View of Improving their Composition Writing
- The Dynamics of Cebuano-English conversational Code Switching in Selected Business Establishments in Metro Cebu
- A Study of the Occasions in Business Conducted in English with Implications to Language Teaching
- Philippine and Singaporean English: A Comparative Study
Determining the English Proficiency of Commerce Students: An Info-Gathering Stage for an English Certificate Project (On-Going)