The Department of Philosophy, now the Philosophy Section, through its then Chair Fr. Quintin C. Terrenal, SVD, PhD, STD founded the Philosophical Association of the Visayas and Mindanao (PHAVISMINDA).
The objectives of the PHAVISMINDA are to:
- Thresh out common problems in the teaching of philosophy and to work on their possible solutions
- Update one’s knowledge in philosophy through seminars or workshops which the organization will provide
- Help members find topics for research in philosophy in the Philippine context, and;
- Provide a venue for the publication of scholarly articles in this field.
The Association has existed for 27 years and during these years it has organized 26 philosophical conferences in different parts of the Visayas and Mindanao. The venues are changed in order to bring philosophy to as many interested persons as possible without their having to travel far, in the hope of maximizing the number of teachers and students who can benefit from the seminars and lectures during these conferences.
Membership is open to anyone who has earned a graduate degree in Philosophy, any student or teacher of philosophy courses, anyone who values philosophy enough to be willing to take up the obligations and enjoy the benefits in the Association.
The Department also has linkages with the following universities/ institutions in the Philippines:
- Ateneo de Davao University, Davao City
- Ateneo de Manila University, Quezon City
- Cebu Institute of Technology, Cebu City
- Cebu Normal University, Cebu City
- Central Colleges of the Philippines, Quezon City
- De La Salle University Taft, Manila
- Holy Name University, Tagbilaran City
- Notre Dame of Marbel University, Marbel
- Silliman University, Dumaguete City
- University of Cebu, Cebu City
- University of Saint La Salle, Bacolod City
- University of San Jose-Recoletos, Cebu City
- University of Santo Tomas, Manila
- Xavier University, Cagayan de Oro City